Tuesday, November 4, 2014

You Are The Boss of Your Hearing Loss Scenario: After the Halloween Party

Characters:
Angela, a girl who is hard of hearing
A group of friends: Amber, Olivia, Mark and Ben

Background Information:
A group of friends are talking about the Halloween party they went to over the weekend in the hall before school.

Angela
The Scenario
Angela’s Friends


Olivia: Wasn’t the Halloween party at Sam’s house amazing?
Angela: Hi guys!




Mark: It was the most fun party I have ever been too.


Ben: I loved the chili and all the food!


Amber: Too bad the costume contest didn’t go better. Did you hear that Sam’s Mom leg is broken after she tripped over the witch’s broom? Ouch!
Angela: That was great!



Everybody looks at Angela shocked! Angela thinks they don’t like her, gets embarrassed and walks away.



Discussion:

How does Angela feel? 
How would you feel?  
What would you do?

What was the communication 
breakdown?

What would you do in this situation?

Use your Boss of your Hearing Loss strategies.

Now, let’s try again:


Angela
The Scenario
Angela’s Friends


Olivia: Wasn’t the Halloween party at Sam’s house amazing?
Angela: Hi guys!




Mark: It was the most fun party I have ever been too.


Ben: I loved the chili and all the food!


Amber: Too bad the costume contest didn’t go better. Did you hear that Sam’s Mom's leg is broken after she tripped over the witch’s broom? Ouch!
Angela: That was great!
Everybody looks at Angela shocked.

(Angela thinks. I missed something.) 

Angela: What’s wrong? Weren’t we talking about the Halloween party?




Amber: Yes, but I just said, Sam’s Mom broke her leg when she tripped during the costume contest. She’s using crutches.
I guess you didn’t hear that. Sorry!
Angela: Oh my! I hope Sam’s Mom gets better soon. 


Now, I know why you all gave me those funny looks. I’m glad I asked.








No comments:

Post a Comment