Monday, February 13, 2017

What Does It Take? - Below The Iceberg

Today, one of my AV Mom's posted a picture on FB celebrating 18 years since her daughter was implanted. Then, I saw this Iceberg Illusion graphic and it reminded me of many of our children now older who have learned to listen and talk and their journey.
@sylviaduckworth
Years ago we would say that the goal of auditory-verbal practice was for children who are deaf or hard of hearing to grow up in "typical" learning and living environments that enable them to become independent, participating, and contributing citizens in an inclusive mainstream society.
Today, families of newly diagnosed children still say “I want my baby to listen and talk,” and then ask, “What does it take? ”https://hearingfirst.org/lsl/what-lsl-takes
Each small step on the path to listening and spoken language makes a huge difference, even if it doesn’t seem like it. It is like everything below the iceberg.
 
I love this download to help families on their journey. - LSL Everyday: End Of The Day Quick Check Handout

No comments:

Post a Comment