Friday, October 10, 2014

The Little Red House - Fall Interactive Listening Activity

Listening, developing auditory memory, auditory sequencing, retelling
 and more with the interactive story, 

"The Little Red House With No Door, No Windows,
 A Chimney On Top And
 A Star In The Middle."



My Mom shared this story with me, and I told it to my daughters
 and many children over the years who have
 learned to listen and talk in Auditory Verbal Therapy.
It is always timely.



This is one of many version of the folktale.

Once upon a time there was a little boy who was tired of playing with his toys.  He said, “Mother, I have nothing to do. What can I do?”

His mother said, “Go outside and find a little red house with no doors or windows and a star inside!”

So the little boy went outside to search for the house.  There he met a little girl.  He asked the girl, “Do you know where I can find a little red house with no doors or windows and a star inside?”

“No I don’t!” said the girl, but my father may know.

So the little boy asked the girl’s father, “Sir, do you know where I can find a little red house with no doors or windows and a star inside?”

The girl’s father laughed!  “No boy, I have never seen anything like that!  Go ask Grandmother.  She has lived a very long time and is very wise.  Maybe she will know.”

So the little boy asked Grandmother, “Please can you tell me where I can find a little red house with no doors or windows and a star inside?”

“No!” said Grandmother, “but I would like to find that house myself.  Go ask the wind; he knows everything!”

The wind blew by the little boy and the little boy asked, “Oh wind, do you know where I can find a little house with no doors or windows and a star inside?”

The wind said, “Yes boy, I will show you the way.”  The little boy followed the wind up a grassy hill.  At the top of the hill was an apple tree.  The wind blew the apple tree and an apple fell off.  “Look on the ground, boy, and you will find your house,” said the wind.

The boy looked to the ground and picked up the apple.  “It is a red house with no doors or windows, but where is the star?” asked the little boy.

The wind replied, “Take it home and ask your mother to cut it in half.”  The little boy hurried home to his mother.

“Mother, I have found the little red house with no doors or windows.  Please cut it in half so that I might see the star.”  The little boys mother took a knife and very carefully cut the apple in half.  Inside was a star holding tiny brown seeds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment