Friday, October 17, 2014

You Are The Boss of Your Hearing Loss Scenario: Phone Conversation and a Pizza Party

Characters:
Jenna, a girl who is hard of hearing
Joshua, Jenna’s classmate

Background Information/Scene:
Jenna receives a call from Joshua. They are both in charge of setting up for their class pizza party tonight.


Person # 1- Jenna
The Scenario
Person # 2 - Joshua

Jenna is at home when the phone rings. It’s Joshua calling.

Hello.




Hi, It’s Joshua.  I’m calling about our class pizza party. Let’s meet at school early tonight at about 5:15 so we can set up for the party. Can you call Sam and Emma and tell them to come at six? Everybody else is coming then.
I didn’t get all that. What time did you say?




Just a minute!

Joshua hollers to his Mom while on the phone with Jenna.



Wawawawawawa


 My Mom wants to use her phone so I gotta go!
But wait!




 See ya



Jenna is frustrated and gets angry.

Oh man! Just forget it. I won’t even go to the party!” 


Person # 1- Jenna
The Scenario
Person # 2 - Joshua

Jenna is at home when the phone rings. It’s Joshua calling.

Hello.




Hi, It’s Joshua.  I’m calling about our class pizza party. Let’s meet at school early tonight at about 5:15 so we can set up for the party. Can you call Sam and Emma and tell them to come at six? Everybody else is coming then.
Joshua, please slow down so I can get the information.




Sure. Come early, so we can set up for the party around 5:15.  Call Sam and Emma and tell them six okay? Everybody else is coming then.”

Joshua hollers to his Mom while on the phone with Jenna.



Wawawawawawa


My Mom wants to use her phone so I gotta go!
But wait!




See ya!

Jenna is frustrated but decides to call Joshua back in a few minutes.




Hi Joshua, I’m calling you back because I didn’t hear all the information about setting up for the party tonight.




OK. I said for us to meet at school at about 5:15 so we can set up for the party. Did you call Sam and Emma and tell them to come at six? Everybody else is coming then.
Joshua, please slow down so I can get the information.”

Sure.  Come early, so we can set up for the party around 5:15.  Call Sam and Emma and tell them six okay?
Fine. I’ll meet you at school at 5:50 and will call Sam and Emma and them to come at six. Right?





 No, I said 5:15 – a quarter after 5:00.”
A quarter after 5:00. OK.




Right. See ya soon. Bye!
Bye!






How does Jenna feel? How would you feel?  What would you do?

Discussion:
What was the communication breakdown?
What would you do in this situation?
Use the boss of your hearing loss strategies.

Now, let’s try again:



No comments:

Post a Comment